Non-text elements add interest to designs; make them accessible with the tools in the upgraded Venngage Editor.
Add a shape or a line
Click "Shapes" in the left toolbar. To access the Shapes menu with your keyboard, use the Tab key to move the selector and hit the spacebar to select it.
Use your cursor or the tab key to select a shape and add it to the design canvas by either clicking on the shape or hitting the spacebar.
You can swap out one shape for another using the top toolbar shape feature.
Edit a shape or a line
Shapes and lines have different customization options, like colors, borders, fills and ends. The customization tools appear in the top toolbar when you select a shape or a line, or you can right-click the element on the canvas to access more options.
Shapes: Color, fills and borders
Select a shape and the tools for customizing its colors and appearance will appear in the top toolbar.
The Color Fill tool allows you to add another color to a shape with a solid fill. Use the slider to control the fill percentage, or enter a numeric value from 0 to 100 in the text field.
Fill Colors appear in the top toolbar as tiles, in the same color as that part of the shape. For shapes with a Color Fill less than 100%, the colors are labelled Fill Color One and Fill Color Two.
Click the Fill Color to open the Color Tool widget and adjust the color to your liking, either with the color picker or from the Project or Brand Kit colors.
Certain shapes appear, by default, with only a border. You can use the Color Fill tool to change the percentage of their color fill.
Or, change the Fill Color One from transparent to a solid color
Change the color of shape borders with the Border Color tool in the top toolbar: click to open the Color Tool widget and select a color from the color picker or from the Brand Kit or Project Colors.
Lines: Color, weight, style, start and end
Lines and the borders on shapes can be customized using the weight and style tools in the top toolbar.
Change the border or line weight by clicking Border Width (the Line Weight tool works the same way for lines) in the top toolbar with that element selected; use the slider to toggle the width of the border or the line, or enter a number between 0px and 20px in the text field.
Style borders and lines with dots and dashes with the top toolbar: click on the shape or line you want to customize, then click Line Style in the top toolbar. Choose from solid, dots, dashes or a combination of those styles.
Lines can be further customized with arrow starts and ends. Click on the line and use the Line Start and Line End tools in the top toolbar to change the style.
Add an icon
Select (tab and hit the spacebar key on the keyboard) or click "Icons" in the left toolbar.
Type a search term into the search bar to filter icons, or use the pre-existing categories to filter.
Categories relate to what the icons represent, e.g., "Activities and Interactions" or style, e.g. "Retro Essentials", or the color type of the icon, i.e., Mono (single color, customizable) or Color (pre-colored).
Click on an icon or hit the spacebar on a selected icon to add it to your design canvas.
Add a photo
Select (tab and hit the spacebar key on the keyboard) or click "Photos" in the left toolbar.
Enter a search term into the search bar, or use the categories to bring up photo results.
Click on a photo thumbnail in the gallery to add it to the design canvas.
Reposition or resize a visual element
Here are some basic controls that apply to any photo, icon, line, or shape on the canvas:
- Reposition: Click and drag the element into place, or use the Tab key to select it and use the arrow keys to nudge the element up, down, left or right.
- Resize: Click and drag the bounding box handles to make the photo smaller or larger, or use the keyboard shortcuts (CTRL + Arrows for Windows; CMD + Arrows for Mac).
- Resize proportionally: Hold down the Shift key while you resize.
- Rotate: Select the element. Click on the circular arrow at the bottom of the bounding box and moving your mouse to rotate it, or use the keyboard shortcuts: Alt or Option + left/right arrows.
- Flip vertically or horizontally: Select the element on the canvas, then click "Flip Horizontal" or "Flip Vertical" to flip the element along that axis.
Apply styles to multiple elements of the same type
Some elements from different categories (e.g., shapes and text boxes) can all be styled at once when you select them all at the same time, if they share some styling options.
Select multiple elements on the design canvas (click while holding Shift your keyboard), then use the tools in the top toolbar to change their color, size, etc.
More ways to customize
- Change the layer of a shape, line, photo or icon so that it appears in front of or behind other visual elements on the canvas
- Lock an element to the design canvas so that it stays in place as you edit your design.
- Customize photos with the crop tool, custom crop shapes, and the opacity settings slider, all available in our upgraded Editor.
- Group elements together.
- Copy or duplicate an element.
Curious about upgrading? Compare our plan features side by side.